The Norwegian International Short Film Festival wrapped up over the weekend, with the festival overall seeing a record year for submissions: 54 Norwegian shorts, 35 international shorts, 10 documentaries and 28 music videos.
The awards ceremony took place at the Grimstad Culture House, and for the first time in its 38-year history, the Golden Chair for Best Norwegian Film went to a location production – Small Talk, produced by Jon M Puntervold from Grimstad and directed by Even Hafnor from Kristiansand.
“In this film we would like to acknowledge seamless filmmaking, the funny yet unsettling translation of local to global in story, as well as the welcome illusion of effortlessness in craft. We found ourselves with a front row view of a dysfunctional family, which made us laugh, cringe and squirm,” said the jury.
Full list of awards
- The Golden Chair for Best Norwegian Short: Small Talk. Dir: Even Hafnor. Prod: Jon M Puntervold.
- The Terje Vigen Award: Oslos rose. Dir: Det sporadiske filmkollektivet.
- The Music Video Award: Eva & The Heartmakers Told You. Dir: Kenneth Karlstad.
- The Golden Chair for Best Norwegian Documentary: Brothers (Brødre). Dir: Aslaug Holm.
- The Golden Chair for Best International Short: The Face of Ukraine: Casting Oksana Baiul. Dir: Kitty Green.
- (Mischa Leinkauf, Lutz Henke and Matthias Wermke’s Symbolic Threats was nominated for The European Short Film 2015, presented by the European Film Academy and a group of European festivals – on 12 December in Berlin).
- The Hourglass Award (The Norwegian Writers’ Guild) for Best Screenplay: Kristoffer Carlin, for Mammas mann.
- The Technical Award (The Norwegian Film Workers’ Association): Cinematographer Øystein Maman for his work on Hong Kong, Totem og Foul.
- The Norwegian Film Critics’ Award for Best Norwegian Short in competition: Vi som ser i mørket. Dir: Aurora Langaas Gossé.
- Aust Agder County’s Youth Award: Chop My Money. Dir: Heo Anthony.