Unspooling between 23 January-2 February, the 38th Göteborg International Film Festival – the largest showcase in the Nordic countries – will embrace Norway, “probably the Nordic film country that has made the strongest progress in recent years, both artistically and audience-wise”, according to the festival’s artistic director Jonas Holmberg.
Dragon Award Three Times
For the last three years Norwegian films have won Göteborg’s Dragon Award for Best Nordic Feature – one of the film world’s largest film prizes, which comes with SEK 1 million (€115,000); this time there are two contenders from Norway, Anne Sewitsky’s Homesick (De nærmeste) and Yngvild Sve Flikke’s Women in Oversized Men’s Shirts (Kvinner i for store herreskjorter).
Honorary Award to Liv Ullmann
Norwegian actress-director Liv Ullmann – “one of the most distinguished actors and directors in Nordic film history,” Per Holmberg – will receive the Nordic Honorary Dragon Award, and the festival has programmed a special focus, Northern Lights: Norway, including 17 recent Norwegian films, among others Ullmann’s English-language Strindberg adaptation, Miss Julie (Frøken Julie).
Ullmann will herself receve her prize at the festival, which will show a total of 26 Norwegian features, documentaries and shorts – Solveig S Melkeraaen’s Good Girl (Flink pike), “a feel-good film on depression” and Melkeraaen’s first feature-length documentary, will compete for the Dragon Award Best Nordic Documentary. Norwegian pop group Team Me will perform at the Norwegian party.
Norwegian films in Göteborg:
- 1001 Gram (Dir: Bent Hamer)
- Beatles (Dir: Peter Flinth)
- Blind (Dir: Eskil Vogt)
- Børning (Dir: Hallvard Bræin)
- Homesick (Dir: Anne Sewitsky)
- Miss Julie (Dir: Liv Ullmann)
- In Order of Disappearance (Dir: Hans Petter Moland)
- Women in Oversized Men`s Shirts (Dir: Yngvil Sve Flikke)
- One night in Oslo (Dir: Eirik Svensson)
- Ballett Boys (Dir: Kenneth Elvebakk)
- Good Girl (Dir: Solveig Melkeraaen)
- I am Kuba (Dir: Åse Svenheim Drivenes)
- Imagining Emanuel (Dir: Thomas A. Østbye)
- Manislam (Dir: Nefise Özkal Lorentzen)
- Out of Norway (Dir: Thomas A. Østbye)
- I`m the One You Want (Dir: Dag Johan Haugerud)
- Edith & Aljosja (Dir: Ann Holmgren)
- High Point (Dir: Emil Trier)
- Me and my Moulton (Dir: Torill Kove)
- Subtotal (Dir: Gunhild Enger)
- Victor (Dir: Kaveh Tehrani)
- The Hunt – Jakten (Dir: Erik Løchen)
- Wives – Hustruer (Dir: Anja Breien)
- Cool & Crazy – Heftig og begeistret (Dir: Knut Erik Jensen)
- Kissed by Winter -Vinterkyss (Dir: Sara Johnsen)
- Eggs (Dir: Bent Hamer)