Swedish film selected for When East Meets West
The Swedish film Madame Luna, directed by Binyam Berhane, has been selected for the seventh edition of ‘When East Meets West’.
‘When East Meets West’ is an Italian co-production that takes place towards the end of January during the Trieste Film Festival. This year, the event will bring together more than 350 industry professionals from over thirty countries, in particular from the 2017 spotlight territories: France and the Baltic Countries (Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania).
The Swedish film Madame Luna makes up one of 22 projects in development. They were selected out of a total of 300 films. The film will be pitched to the industry professionals and hopefully pick up more international support.
Madame Luna is a thrilling drama about an Eritrean girl who has washed ashore in Libya and becomes one of the most notorious human smugglers with deep ties to the Sicilian Mafia. Binyam Berhane is an Eritrean-born director based in Stockholm.
Here are all the projects pitching (take note: so many of our cousins, Estonia!)
- About the End – Cristina Picchi (UK, Italy, Canada)
- Alfa – Una Gunjak (Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia)
- Before Father is Back – Mari Gulbiani (Georgia, France, Germany)
- Children of Talsinki – Moonika Siimets (Estonia)
- Dead Woman – Kadri Kõusaar (Estonia)
- Flesh Out – Michela Occhipinti (Italy)
- Gentle Warriors – Marija Stonyte (Lithuania)
- I Will Cross Tomorrow – Sepideh Farsi France)
- Insect Night – Laila Pakalnina (Latvia)
- Lust for Life – Radovan Síbrt (Czech Republic)
- Madame Luna – Binyam Berhane (Sweden)
- Montaigne – Luca Ferri (Italy)
- Our Father – Márton Vízkelety, Julianna Ugrin (Hungary)
- People We Know Are Confused – Tomas Smulkis (Lithuania)
- Queens – Stefan Bohun (Austria)
- Solving My Mother – Ieva Ozolina (Latvia)
- Telephone Suicides – Sandra Gugliotta (Argentina)
- The Pass – George Ovashvili (Georgia, France)
- The Users – Ivan Ikic (Serbia)
- The Wind – Michal Bielawski (Poland)
- Wishing on a Star – Peter Kerekes (Italy, Austria, Slovakia)
- Zuhal nazli – Elif Durlu (Turkey)