Stellan Skarsgård [+] has been announced to have a leading role in Vaclav Marhoul’s adaptation of Jerzy Kosinski’s Holocaust story The Painted Bird.
The film tells the story of a Jewish boy who wanders through Eastern Europe passing himself off as a Gentile to avoid death at the hands of the Nazis during World War II.
Harvey Keitel has been announced to play a Catholic priest, and Skarsgård will play a character the boy meets along his travels.
Shooting will take place this mount in the Czech Republic.
Skarsgård is currently working on a large number of films. They are:
- Out Stealing Horses, a Norwegian film from director Hans Petter Moland [+]. The film tells the story of a grieving widower who moves to the country where a chance encounter rekindles memories from his past.
- Music, War, and Love, an American film from director Martha Coolidge.
- The Man Who Killed Don Quixote, an American film about an advertising executive who jumps back and forth in time between 21st century London and 17th century La Mancha, where Don Quixote mistakes him for Sancho Panza.
- Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again, a sequel to the 2008 comedy Mamma Mia!
- The Long Ships, a Swedish Viking film
- German Autumn, a Swedish film Skarsgård is producing.
The Skarsgård’s are a busy family!