A number of Scandinavian films have been selected for the International Film festival Rotterdam’s co-production market CineMart.
CineMart is designed to bring attention to new up and coming projects from all around Europe. In addition to presenting films to buyers, awards are also given out. CineMart will hand out four awards this year: the Eurimages Co-Production Development Award of €20,000 for a European co-production; the ARTE International Prize of €6,000 for an international co-production; the Wouter Barendrecht Award of €5,000 for a project by a director under 35 years of age; and the Filmmore Postproduction Award of €7,500 to be used for colour grading and visual effects.
The first of the Scandinavian films being presented is A White, White Day from director Hlynur Pálmason. His name may sound familiar as his latest film, Winter Brothers, is currently circulating international festivals. So far, the film has won awards at the Locarno Film Festival and CPH:PIX. This Danish/Icelandic film will be produced by Join Motion Pictures.
Another Danish film in the line-up is Moonblood from director Jesper Dalgaard. Dalgaard is a new director who has previously director shorts that have screened at SXSW, Sheffield Doc/Fest, Nordisk Panorama and TIFF. He graduated from The National Danish Film School in 2017 and has a Vimeo page, which you can view here.
Lastly is the Swedish film Sagres (pictured above) from Lovisa Sirén. Sirén is another new director who has previously worked in short films and Sagres is her first feature film. She has a wonderful website, which you can view here.
In total, 16 new films have been chosen for the event from close to 400 submissions.
The 2018 edition of CineMart will run from the 28th until the 31st of January as part of the festival’s industry wing, IFFR PRO Days, which runs 26th January until the 2nd of February.
The full line-up of projects is:
- Check Me in Another Place, Matt Porterfield, Le Bureau/The Hamilton Film Group (France/USA)
- Disco Afrika, Luck Razanajaona, We Film (France/Madagascar)
- Electrocute, Gastón Solnicki, Rei Cine SRL (Argentina)
- Medusa, Anita Rocha da Silveira, Bananeira Filmes/Ciné-Sud Promotion (Brazil/France)
- Mitra, Kaweh Modiri, BALDR Film (the Netherlands)
- Mon légionnaire, Rachel Lang, Chevaldeuxtrois/Wrong Men (France/Belgium)
- Moonblood, Jesper Dalgaard, Beofilm (Denmark)
- Nathan Won’t Ride, Dean Loxton, Lions Den Films (United Kingdom)
- Ô mon amour, Jean-Gabriel Périot, Local Films (France)
- Qaim Deen, Gurvinder Singh, The Film Cafe (India)
- Sagres, Lovisa Sirén, [sic] film (Sweden)
- Sleepwalk, Ricardo Silva, Spécola/Ryan Zacarias (Mexico/USA)
- To Live to Sing, Johnny Ma, Image X Productions (China)
- Waterwolf, Ann-Julie Vervaeke, Earlybirds Films (Belgium)
- When My Life Was My Life, Carolina Markowicz, Superfilmes/Yourmama/Ajimolido Films (Brazil/Argentina)
- A White, White Day, Hlynur Pálmason, Join Motion Pictures/Snowglobe (Iceland/Denmark)