In the June round of support the Nordisk Film and TV Fond supported seven new projects, including Cold Case Dag Hammerskjold. This Danish documentary is by Mads Brügger, who also stars as one of the protagonists in the hybrid doc/true political thriller with Swedish aid worker Göran Björkdahl. The latter has for years, researched the case of legendary former UN Secretary Dag Hammarskjöld who died in a plane crash in Northern Rhodesia in 1961. Now the UN is reopening the case on the suspicion that it was an assassination. The questions are: who wanted Hammarskjöld dead and why? The film starts production in August and will be delivered in 2017. DR Sales handles world sales. According to Peter Engel, theatrical rights to the film have been licensed to Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Benelux and the Czech Republic.
- A Modern Man (Documentary), awarded NOK500,000. The film produced by Danish Documentary is directed by Eva Mulvad (Enemies of Happiness). This film is an existential journey into a top tuned modern life of solo violinist and super model Charlie Siem.
- Rides Upon the Storm (TV series, 10×58’) awarded NOK1,950,000. The Danish drama series is produced by Camilla Hammerich for DR Drama, in co-production with ARTE and SAM Lefrançais, in association with StudioCanal that handles world sales. Showrunner Adam Price is co-writer with Karina Dam and Poul Berg. Kaspar Munk is concept director. Inspired by the myth of Abel and Cain, the series explores the concept of faith. In the title roles are Lars Mikkelsen, Ann Eleonora, Simon Sears and Morten Hee Andersen. The series just wrapped an 8-day shoot in Spain and will resume in August. The first series will be broadcast on DR1 in the autumn 2017 and Season 2 in 2018.
- Zombielars (TV series, 13×15’) awarded NOK2,000,000 The TV series targeting 8-12 years-old is produced by Ane Bergseng and Gisle Halvorsen for Tordenfilm. Atle Knudsen (Orps-The Movie) is directing and Thomas Seeberg Torjussen (Valkyrien, Sons) is creator/writer. The ‘Fucking Åmål Meets Buffy the Vampire series is about being an outsider in an increasingly conformist society. Zombierlars will premiere on NRK Super in 2017.
- Euphoria (feature film), awarded NOK 2,500,000 The film directed by Lisa Langseth is produced by B-Reel Films, in co-production with Alicia Vikander’s Vikarious Productions in the UK and Dancing Camels in Germany. It’s the story of two sisters (Vikander and Eva Green) aiming for reconciliation at the edge of existence. SF Studios handles Scandinavian distribution.
- Jeg er William (feature film), awarded NOK1,000,000 The Danish film is produced by Sara Namer of Meta Film. Jonas Elmer is directing based on a script by Kim Fupz Aakeson. The story focuses on William (11). His dad is dead and his mom is in the loony bin. He still has his uncle Nils so it´s not all bad. Uncle Nils likes to drink and gamble and when he gets in trouble with a local gangster it´s up to William to save the day. Filming is set to start in September, with a delivery in August 2018. SF Studios handles distribution.
- What a Circus (feature film) awarded NOK1,500,000 The film produced by Asta Film is directed by Lotte Svendsen (Max Embarrassing). It pays homage to the magic of the circus and an alternative way of life. It also deals with the consequences of unresolved adult conflicts and the ability to forgive for children’s sake.