11 New Nordic Projects to be pitched at the Baltic Event 2016
11 Nordic projects will be introduced to more than 40 sales agents and 380 professionals during the Baltic Event, which takes place during the Tallinn Black Nights Film Festival in Estonia at the end of November.
Five projects are set to be pitched at the co-production market, and are competing for a €20,000 Eurimages Co-production Development Award. They are:
- As I Fall (Norway) by Magnus Meyer Arnesen. This is a realistic drama about addiction, based on the directors personal experience. The film is produced by DNF Masters, which respresents Norwegian national film school projects
- East of Sweden (Finland) is directed by Simo Halinen and produced by Kaiho Republic. (pictured)
- Fear Eats the Soul (Sweden), directed by Maria Eriksson, is a new take on Rainer Werner Fassbinder’s 1974 film Ali: Fear East the Soul. Anagram Film & TV is producing and Scanbox has domestic rights.
- Ibracadabra (Sweden) is by Karzan Kader and follows a young boy who gains self-confidence by finding soccer shoes that he believes belong to Zlatan. This is produced by TMV in co-production with Toolbox and MRP.
- Vinski and the Invisibility Powder (Finland) by Juha Wuolijoki is a children’s film based on the 1954 book Vinski of the Town by Finnish author Aapeli and is produced by Snapper Films.
Two Finnish films that were previously pitched at the Finnish Film Affair are attending Baltic Event’s Works in Progress. These are Law of the Land by Jussi Hiltunen and The Eternal Road by AJ Annila.
Another four projects, including Scenes from a Dying Town which won the Nordic Talents Pitch Prize in 2016, will be in the POWR pitch forum.
Much like Norway and Iceland, Estonia is introducing its own tax incentive, which offers a reimbursement of up to 30% of local production spend.